Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Beginning

So about two weeks ago, I agreed to compete in my first professional (professional meaning only that I get paid a stipend to risk my life for the pleasure of a few hundred bloodthirsty onlookers), Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) cage fight. My eagerness to experience this rite of passage presents several critical problems: 1. I need to lose about 26 lbs. in 6 weeks (the fight is May 6th). 2. Although I am moderately skilled in Jiu Jitsu (ground fighting), I am fairy crappy at stand up fighting, especially the part where you get punched in the face. 3. I like to spend my evenings drinking beer and smoking cigarettes- neither of which practices can be found in many successful fighters' training strategies.

I can already picture D-dayÂ…In what feels like just a few moments from right now, I will walk down an isle flanked by the screams of the crowd, forcing myself to not only keep walking toward the cage but actually be locked inside it with an angry fellow who intends to deliver me from consciousness by any means possible, as quickly, even brutally as possible. The cage, consisting of a bold-stained mat surrounded by a wall of chain link fence just tall enough to prevent escape in the event that I should come to my senses, resembles a medieval torture device more than a sporting ring.

So why would I want to do such a thing? I mean, I am a pretty content, active guy. I have a great job, beautiful girlfriend, adorable 9 year old son, cool apartment, friends, etcÂ…. all of the makings of a complete life... right??? One major factor is support and confidence from Jake Shields and Gilbert Melendez- these guys are world champion; complete machines and they tell me I am ready and should fight. I think in the back of my mind I want to be inside the inner circle or warriors that can only be accessed by stepping in the cage. These guys respect me now as I can hold my own in Jiu Jitsu but I don't want to look back and ask myself "what if." For the rest of my life- I am 33 now and it's now or never. The negative consequences of not fighting far outnumber those of stepping into the cage as far as I'm concerned. Another factor is all the hot chicks fighters get. Ok, not really, I have a gorgeous girlfriend that I can't believe I scored. It boils down to the rush one can only experience by doing the complete opposite all of your instincts tell you. I did this when I was younger as Explosive Ordnance Diver in the Navy and it charged my life with a level of confidence and satisfaction that has surely changed me forever. I also understand that the only poor direction a person can take in life is none at all. I see the logical as illogical. The mid-western system of work at the factory, watch reality TV, go to bed, repeat, etc. seems like a slow predictable death. So it's on and it's up to me to get in shape, both physical and mental and become the FletchMonster for one night, a night that will surely change my life but hopefully not my skeletal structure.


My Baseline before deciding to fight last week consisted of 5 days /week Jiu Jitsu and a few nights of mountain. biking- I wasn't in the worst shape. Last week I started "stepping" up the training; I added night workouts and started watching what I ate. However, I still enjoyed a few beers and cigarettes (2-3/night).

No comments: