Monday, March 27, 2006

Back at it

Monday. WEIGHT: 227 (right where I started). WEIGHT LOST: O.lbs.. I put the .1 in there for positive reinforcement. Ok, time to get cracking! 6 weeks starts now, no more ramp-up! I started the day with a healthy whole grain cereal and a cup of coffee. I wait until 10:00 and eat a small oatmeal as they say that consuming small meals every 3 hours increases your metabolism. "They" had better be right. I hit the usual 11:30 Jiu Jitsu session and start with 2, 500 meter rowing sprints after a brief warm-up. I average around 1:40 per interval, not bad although I should do 5 sets on Tuesday and Thursdays (easier days), as Mondays and Wednesdays are harder in terms of number and intensity of training sessions. After the Rowing warm-up, I do 3 rounds of light MMA sparring with a smaller (185Lbs) partner. I finished with ground and pound training where I always start in a bad position and have to work my way out. I left tired but feeling good. I ate a carnitas burrito, dehydrated and took some supplements (just a multi, glucosimine, and omega 3's. Also some greens from Trader Joe's. At 5:30 I start the evening Muay Thai with Dan Black at Cesar's place in Pleasant Hill. Oh man, this one sucked. It was "heavy sparring" night. After 3 rounds of jumping rope and 3 rds of bag work (combinations), I get into the ring, all padded up, ready for the inevitable- great strikers exposing my fear and lack of experience and technique in the form of sharp pain and bodily injury. I get dropped 3 times, think I may have a broken jaw but don't want to seem like a "wuss", and my legs hurt so bad from being kicked and kneed that I have to muster all of my focus to pretend to walk out of there like a man. Oh, but only after a hundred jumping squats, pushups and sit-ups…. I talk with Dan and he tells me its all in the mindset. "You'd have to grab that metal pole over there and whack me a few times in the head and maybe I would go down…just tell yourself you aren't goin' down" I feint understanding and leave. I get home and have a glass (or 3) of wine. I know it's bad but I just went through a voluntary ass beating! I know that I have to get through these sessions in order to win the fight. I went through a similar process with Jiu Jitsu and I know that nothing will replace hours in the ring. I also believe that my mindset will change as I become a machine designed to dismantle another human being. But now, I find myself avoiding death 100% of the time. I need to be more aggressive and spar a lot, as much as it SUCKS!

No comments: